Friday, November 10, 2006

Violence in the New South Africa - perspective

In response to a wildly negative article about violence in the new South Africa last week (by Andre Brink), one of my fellow Safrea members posted this to the group ~ it's a powerful, excellent read ~ and something I will quote to the doomsayers around me: Thanks Babusi, for letting us share this:

"I was robbed at knifepoint two months ago, have had a gun pointed at my head and my restaurant till emptied and experienced numerous violent encounters after 1994. I am a post graduate educated professional (at least i think I am a professional) and , if you stretch the definition a little to include a man sitting behind ten tomatoes next to the bus stop, I am an entrepreneur.

In other words, even as a Black South African, I belong to the social and economic groups that supposedly hold this country together and that are supposed to be scared to the point of emigrating.

But this is not Canada, New Zealand or Australia that where the tradition of peace ( give or take a world war or a colonial insurrection or two) is hundreds of years old. I think I know where the roots of violence in this country are where millions are homeless, jobless etc etc.

Having said all of that, and despite my personal experiences of violence, okusalayo (when all is said and done) I still contend that for more than 80 percent of the people of this country, 2006 is a more peaceful, more hopeful, more exciting, more involving than 1986.
Heck, we can go for a swim in Camps Bay, own property in Rondebosch and even dream in colour.

Besides, and more importantly, the economy is in better shape, democratic institutions (legal, press, civic) are more vibrant, more independent and stronger.

So (with due respect and apologies to those who have personally experinced the violence or lost loved ones) spare us the Armageddon scenarios. Sorry if Brink and others have given up. Maybe they can afford to.

Let us support and contribute to attempts to clean up the police, arrest criminals ( the kingpins of whom wear expensive suits, live in the Camps -and other-Bays, have names like Thatcher and Kebble and complain about crime at dinner parties) and build a hopeful, moral society.

Peace Mon
Respek
--
Babusi M Sibanda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home